WJCT’s Salute To Veterans
Submit now though November 7.
November 11 of each year is a day we ensure veterans know we appreciate the sacrifices they have made to keep our country free. Help WJCT honor our veterans by submitting a name we may add to our on-air thank you announcements.
The Vietnam War by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick
WJCT and our community partners:
AARP • City of Jacksonville, Military and Veterans Department • Community Hospice Veterans Partnership • Caregiver Coalition of Northeast Florida • Florida Veterans Programs and Projects • Jacksonville Public Library • Riverside Presbyterian Church • Special Forces Association Chapter 88 • Vietnam Veterans Association Chapter 1046
are proud to present a variety of engagement opportunities around the national broadcast of The Vietnam War by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick.
Calendar of Events
- September 6 – The Vietnam War & The Many Meanings of Patriotism at Flagler College with Dr. Michael Butler
To see pictures from this event CLICK HERE.
- September 17-21 – “The Vietnam War” Parts 1-5, 8pm WJCT 7.1
- September 17 – “They Were Our Fathers” on WJCT 7.1 at 7pm
- September 17 – “American Medevac” on WJCT 7.1 at 11pm
- September 18 – Special Vietnam Era edition of Route 66 on 89.9FM at 10pm
- September 18 – Special Vietnam Era edition of Blues Horizon on 89.9FM at 11pm
- September 18 – “Jeremiah” on WJCT 7.1 at 11pm
- September 22 – “Caring for the Military/Veteran Caregiver” Family Caregiving Conference at WJCT Studios (8:30am – 4:00pm) and The Vietnam War Screening (4pm). For more information CLICK HERE.
- September 24 – “Vietnam: Service, Sacrifice and Courage” on WJCT 7.1 at 11pm
- September 24 – “Legacies of War: Vietnam” on WJCT 7.1 at 11:30pm
- September 24-28 – “The Vietnam War Parts” 6-10, 8pm WJCT 7.1
- October 3 – Fundraising reception for Special Forces Association – Chapter 88 before The Vietnam War & Stories of Service. For more information and RSVP/tickets CLICK HERE.
- October 3 – The Vietnam War & Stories of Service with Special Forces Association – Chapter 88, CLICK HERE to reserve your seat
- November 1 – Music in Context: Songs of the Vietnam War Era at Jacksonville Public Library, Main Library (November Art Walk, 6:30 – 8:30PM)
- November 2 – History in Context: The Vietnam War Screening and Discussion at Jacksonville Public Library, Main Library, 2PM
- November 8 – “The Vietnam War: Searching for Reconciliation” screening and conversation at Riverside Presbyterian Church, 5:45-8:30pm. Call 904.355.4585 for more information.
- November 11 – Veteran’s Day
- All Year Long – The Wall of Faces
(Be sure to check back often for updates)
Tell us YOUR story.
To collect Stories that represent a diversity of perspectives. To better understand the war and its long-term impact. Examples include: personal stories form those who served or protested the war, personal photographs from the era, intergenerational conversations with family members, etc.
You can also submit your story to via your Facebook*, your Twitter, or your Instagram. Just be sure to include the hashtag #VietnamStoriesPBS.
*NOTE: If sharing via Facebook, your user settings or your post must be set to public or your entry will not be viewable by PBS.
The Wall That Heals
On April 13-16, 2017 in Metropolitan Park, WJCT Public Broadcasting & The City of Jacksonville’s Military Affairs and Veterans Department presented The Wall That Heals, a half-scale replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., designed to travel to communities throughout the United States.
The Wall That Heals honors the more than three million Americans who served in the US Armed forces in the Vietnam War and it bears the names of the more than 58,000 men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in Vietnam.
Since its unveiling on Veterans Day 1996, The Wall That Heals has visited more than 400 cities and towns throughout the nation, spreading the Memorial’s healing legacy to millions.
For more information on The Wall That Heals and WJCT’s veterans programming and initiatives, click HERE.
Florida Stories of Service
To watch local Stories of Service and other incredible veteran accounts and documentaries from around the state of Florida simply click HERE.
For more information on the Stories of Service or the Veteran’s Coming Home initiatives click the links below.
Veteran’s & Military Programming, 2017 TBD
Stories of Courage. Stories of Sacrifice. Stories of Service.
WJCT-TV 7.1 Comcast 8, WJCT DT 7.4 More!, Comcast 212