At WJCT, we pride ourselves on hiring the best. From TV production to engineering, finance to radio, the thread that binds our team is our passion for the quality product we provide to our viewers and listeners.
WJCT seeks individuals who not only are technically skilled and knowledgeable, but also have great interpersonal ability. While we appreciate every applicant’s interest, only those under consideration will be contacted. We regret that phone calls will not be accepted.
WJCT is an equal-opportunity, equal access employer. WJCT’s employment decisions are based on applicants’ qualifications for the positions being considered. These decisions are made with no regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, or any other protected status.
If you meet the stated qualifications of a particular position and would like to be part of our team-oriented workplace whose mission it is to celebrate diversity, encourage lifelong learning and promote civic participation in our community please send a resume with cover letter stating position of interest and salary expectations to ; fax to 904-358-6385 or WJCT HR, 100 Fesitval Park Ave., Jacksonville, FL 32202.
Employment Opportunities with WJCT
DIGITAL CONTENT EDITOR
Position is responsible for the editing, creation, curation, and implementation of day-to-day news and information on WJCTNews.org and other station related social media. The Digital Content Editor will create a social media strategy that supports WJCT’s goals for content and engagement across multiple social platforms.
- Work with Director of Programming and News Operations to assess content from a variety of sources to determine where and how it fits into daily coverage and user needs;
- Write and edit copy, write headlines, and select/prioritize stories and packages for feature placement on WJCTNews.org and social media platforms;
- Craft and manage WJCT’s social media presence across multiple platforms with a focus on engaging and growing new audiences and encouraging dialogue;
- Create a unique and appropriate voice for WJCT’s social media;
- Lead WJCT’s social media in breaking news situation;
- Develop and produce original content for WJCTNews.org using a mix of traditional and new media storytelling elements including audio, video, text, still photography, and slideshows;
- Provide regular reports and analysis on web and social media traffic;
- Track digital journalism trends and innovations to make WJCT a leader in online storytelling, presentation and engagement;
- Participate in on-air fundraising as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcasting, Journalism, or Communications preferred and/or equivalent relevant work experience;
- Experience with digital content creation and web publishing in a broadcast or digital news environment preferred;
- Knowledge of all facets of online content production, including writing for web, copy editing, graphic design and prefer those with HTML, photography, and audio/video production skills;
- Proven editorial judgment, with a commitment to standards of objectivity, balance and fairness. This position requires sold communication skills to both internal and external audiences;
- Ability to track multiple projects, work under deadline pressure, communicate across departments, and respond effectively to diverse and challenging circumstances;
- Experience with social media platforms, preferred experience;
- Experience with Drupal-based (Core Publisher preferred) or other content management systems;
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and work collaboratively as well as independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends depending on breaking news cycle and fundraising commitments is required;
- Excellent research, writing, editing and proofreading skills. Knowledge of the mechanics of Standard English grammar and AP style;
- Broad interest in and knowledge of Jacksonville area arts, culture, and issues of concern to the region and current events.
ALL THINGS CONSIDERED HOST
This part time position is responsible for hosting All Things Considered, Monday-Friday.
- Write, produce and voice local station breaks during All Things Considered to meet time, quality, accuracy, and editorial standards.
- Present news, traffic and weather reports along with some underwriting and station promotion.
- Oversee on-air operation of radio station during All Things Considered.
- Research and write copy and download radio pieces from partner organizations.
- Edit scripts to ensure news reports are updated, accurate and grammatically correct.
- Prepare and host live and pre-recorded interview segments and creates associated content for placement on WJCTnews.org.
- Deliver seamless live, non-scripted material on short notice.
- Serve as host for other WJCT programming as needed.
- Participate in meetings and in editing and coaching sessions.
- Interface with elected officials, news makers, television producers, journalists from other organizations, and community leaders.
- Participate in fundraising and promotional activities on-air and in the community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Broadcasting or related field &/or related equivalent experience preferred;
- Training in the operation of broadcast equipment;
- Two (2) years on-air experience, public broadcasting preferred;
- One (1) year experience as a journalist/reporter, public broadcasting preferred;
- Ability to operate broadcast equipment;
- Proven ability to follow format clocks and effectively present material on air;
- Proven ability to gather and synthesize news for presentation on air;
- Proven ability to conduct interviews in studio and on location;
- Proven ability to work unsupervised on deadline;
- Proven ability to write and speak clearly:
- Knowledge of public radio style of reporting and presentation.
- Organizational skills with proven attention to detail;
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid Florida Drivers License.
CONTENT DISTRIBUTION SPECIALIST
It’s an historic milestone in WJCT’s 50-plus year history of service to our community, and a new venture for the Public Broadcasting System as we begin the creation and implementation of a centralized network operations center. The 24/7 broadcast hub, located in Jacksonville, will at the outset serve 10 member stations with 33 channels and reach nearly 15 million households in four states—and that’s just the beginning!
Position will control, program and oversee the systems that manage JCT Services LLC’s digital assets and distribute material over various platforms.
Entry Level Candidates: High school diploma and/or equivalent plus 0-2 years experience with electronics/broadcast experience preferred.
Experienced Candidates: High school diploma and/or equivalent, prefer Associates degree and 2+ years broadcast experience and/or Bachelor’s degree and 4+ year broadcast experience.
For all positions we are looking for candidates with:
- Training in master control operations and traffic a plus;
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong attention to detail;
- Proven computer aptitude;
- Clear ability to multitask and prioritize while working under tight deadlines;
- An ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems quickly;
- A “can-do” customer service attitude; previous experience working with clients;
- Proven ability to work independently or as a member of a team;
- Must be able to work a day, night or weekend shift with the ability to move into an alernate shift if needed, as well as overtime and holidays;
- SBE certification preferred or the ability to earn SBE certification within one year of hire;
There are multiple levels and associated salary ranges within this job family. Placement will be based on educational background and relevant skills and experience.
Positions will be hired as the Network Operations Center (NOC) becomes fully operational. Anticipate an April-October, 2013 time period.
ON-CALL PRODUCTION CREW
We are looking for individuals who would like to be a part of our on-call crew pool which assists with studio productions and other WJCT events and activities. If you have experience with:
- Camera operation and other television equipment such as CG, prompter;
- Studio production set-up , scenery construction and maintenance;
- Lighting, working as an audio assistant;
- General facilities support (non-production);
- Working flexible schedules to include nights and weekends.
Internships at WJCT
WJCT provides internship opportunities during which students are provided a learning environment with “real life” work experience in support of their educational and personal goals.Typical requirements for consideration include:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be enrolled in or sponsored by an accredited college or university;
- Matriculated to the junior years by the start of the internship period;
- Be seeking course credit or fulfillment of additional community/college requirements;
- Pursuing a major that relates to the products and services provided by WJCT.
Please send a resume and cover letter stating area of interest and availability to:
WJCT Human Resources
100 Festival Park Ave.
Jacksonville, FL 32202
WJCT seeks organizations that provide employment information to job seekers. If your organization would like to receive notification of vacancies at WJCT, please contact:
100 Festival Park Ave.
Jacksonville, FL 32202